Department Of Homeland Security
New SEVIS I-901 fees went into effect on October 27th, 2008
This SEVIS fee is required of all foreign nationals who come to the U.S. for the purpose of pursuing a full course of study in institutions such as colleges, universities, and language training programs. It is payable one time for each single educational program in which an F-1 student participates.
This fee must be paid and received by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security three (3) business days before you have an appointment with the embassy to receive your visa.
SEVIS fee payments will be used by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to fund the Student and Exchange Visitor Program. This program makes it possible for international students and exchange visitors to attend schools in the U.S. The fee also funds the Student and Exchange Visitors Information System (SEVIS), a computer system employed to track international students and exchange visitors during their stays in the U.S.
The fee for the different visa categories applies as follows:
- For dependents (F-2, J-2) of students and exchange visitors there is NO fee.
- For students (F-1, F-3) and exchange visitors (J-1) it is $200.
The SEVIS fee can be paid by mail or online.
To pay by mail:
- Get Form I-901 "Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Nonimmigrants.”
- Download the form from www.FMJfee.com or
- Ask for the form by phone at 1-800-870-3676 (only if you are inside the U.S.
- Complete Form I-901. Be sure to write your name exactly how it appears on your I-20.
- Prepare a check, international money order, or foreign draft (drawn on U.S. banks only) in the amount of $100 USD, made payable to “The Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement.”
- Mail the completed Form I-901 and payment to the address listed on Form I-901.
- A Form I-797 receipt confirmation letter should be mailed within 3 days of processing the fee. Be sure to make copies of this receipt letter, and keep it with your other important immigration documents.
To pay online:
- For information go to www.ice.gov/sevis/i901
- Complete the form online and supply the necessary Visa, MasterCard or American Express information. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20.
- Print a copy of the online receipt.
- Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigration documents.
- Fee payment confirmation at https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/dhs/loadSearchPage.do
The College of Central Florida (CF) International Student Services Office recommends that prospective students pay the SEVIS fee online. Keep in mind that the SEVIS fee is not refundable if the visa is denied: however, if you reapply for a new F-1 visa within 12 months of the denial, you will not have to pay the fee again.