AFC Chapter Minutes
Association of Florida Colleges Meeting
April 25, 2013
Board Room, Founders Hall, 12:30pm
In Attendance: Frances Anthony, Donna Custer, Susan Dagg, Berry Davis, Shena Grant, Jim Henningsen, Mikel James, Amber Johnson, Larry Kuszynski, Lana Lutz, Shana Miller, Dejuan Mills, Ernie Miranda, Valerie Murphy, Coley Neveau, Bill Schaeffer, Janet Secrist, Carol S. Smith, Kimberley Smith, Anna Stephenson, Karen Tolson, Sandy Welch
Carol S. Smith called the meeting to order at 12:36pm and welcomed everyone to the meeting. A light lunch and beverages were provided.
Approval of Minutes
Lana Lutz moved for the approval of the minutes from the March 28, 2013 general meeting. Susan Dagg seconded the motion. The minutes were approved as presented.
Susan Dagg presented the Treasurer’s Report. Balances of these accounts, as of April 10, 2013 are as follows: Travel account, $7,701.70, College wide Activity account, $2,949.29, Membership account, $489.09, Fundraising account, $1,087.96. The total Fund I and Fund 6 accounts is $12,228.04. When all upcoming expenses are taken into account, the projected ending balances are as follows: Fundraising Account, $787.96, Travel account, $2,080.70, and College Wide Activity account, $1,424.29.
- On Thursday, April 18 the CPEC/AFC Employee Appreciation Breakfast was held. The speaker was Dr. Dean Kohrs and the President’s Staff served this year – by popular demand. The event was well received, and a good time was had by all. 11 employees were recognized for attainment of degrees or certifications, and Ron Partee received the Whale Done award.
- To date, our Krispy Kreme Fundraiser has raised $174 for the March of Dimes.
- The May general meeting to be held on May 28, 2013 at 12:30pm at the Citrus
- Our chapter participated in the April 3, 2013 AFC conference call for a legislative update.
Items for Discussion
- Lana Lutz and Carol Smith shared their experiences from the Region III /CPEC Meeting will be held on April 12, 2013 at Valencia College in Orlando. We have money in the travel budget to pay for those who wish to attend. The registration fee is $35.00.
- Student Development Conference will be held May 14-16, 2013 at Pasco-Hernando Community College in New Port Richey. So far there are 12 or 14 people interested in attending and we will try to send all who wish to go.
- Joint Commissions Conference – May 16-17, 2013 – State College of Florida – Florida Lakewood Campus
- Any persons interested in running for chapter officer positions should contact Carol Smith. The installation luncheon for new officers will be held in June, and a retreat for new and old officers will also be held that month. Suzette Wallace, incoming AFC chapter president for 2013-2014, plans to take our chapter meetings to other campuses more often next year.
- Michael Brawer helped to clarify some questions that members had concerning the increase in membership due fees that will go in to effect July 1, 2013.
Being that there was no further chapter business, the business portion of the meeting was adjourned at 1:00 pm following a motion by Susan Dagg and a second by Donna Custer.
Dr. Henningsen provided a very brief CF update and introduced Mr. Michael Brawer, the CEO and Executive Director of the Association of Florida Colleges, who presented a legislative update and information about the purpose and structure of AFC.
Respectfully submitted by Shana Miller, April 29, 2013.