AFC Chapter Minutes
Association of Florida Colleges Meeting
September 27, 2012
Board Room, Founders Hall, 12:30pm
In Attendance: John Anene,Marnie Baird,Cara Bennett, Kelly Besser, Sherry Brady, Lois Brauckmuller, Debbie Cook, Donna Custer, Susan Dagg, Shirley Glenney, Jodi Greene, Beth Groff, Mikel James, Teresa Joyner, Lana Lutz, Marjorie McGee, Shana Miller, Kathy Morse, Edith Ramlow, Jean Scheppers, Carol S. Smith, Marian Smith, Mary Ann Toth, Joe Wallace, Suzette Wallace, Pam Weeks, Rory Wells, Karla Wilson, Rebecca York
Carol S. Smith called the meeting to order at 12:30pm and welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Approval of Minutes
Marnie Baird moved for the approval of the minutes from the August 30, 2012 general meeting. Suzette Wallace seconded the motion. The minutes were approved as presented.
Susan Dagg presented the Treasurer’s Report. As of September 10, 2012, we have a balance of $203.26 in the Membership Account, a balance of $1,419.63 in the Fundraising Account, a balance of $16,545.62 in the Travel Account and a balance of $5,000.00 in our College wide Activity Fund Account. This brings our total balance of Fund 1 and Fund 6-AFC Trust accounts to $23,168.51. Pending transactions in the Fundraising account will bring its balance to $912.05.
Marjorie McGee reported that at present, we have 222 active full-time members with more on the way. Eleven new members signing up with payroll deduction were added during our recent membership drive. Dr. Mark Paugh was the winner of a $50 gas card for new members.
Beth Groff provided the Activities Report.
- Our chapter’s October Social Hour will be held on October 4, 2012 at the Horse and Hounds Restaurant on Silver Spring’s Blvd, from 4:30pm – 7:00pm.
- Our fundraising event at Stevi B’s Pizza will be held on October 15, 2012, from 11:00am – 4:00pm. Takeout orders count. People participating in the event should make sure to let the cashier know they are with the College of Central Florida group when making their purchase.
- Our chapter will be selling Boo Grams again this year as our October fundraiser. They will sell for $1.00 each. Orders will be accepted between October 8-19, 2012. Beth Groff will work with Cara Bennett to set up a way for folks to order online. 500 bags for the Boo Grams were donated by Marnie Baird, and Debbie Cook has made and donated tags for them. Donations of candy for the bags are much appreciated. We also need volunteers to help assemble the bags. An assembly line will be set up in 5-203 before Halloween. Volunteers are also needed to sell leftover boo grams in Building 5 on October 31, 2012. This year, the bags will be delivered to the recipients, not to the person who purchased the bags.
- Jean Scheppers volunteered to coordinate the annual Thanksgiving dinner service to Evangeline Booth Gardens. Proceeds from the sale of the Boo Grams will go toward the dinner. Volunteers to serve, etc. will be needed. Watch for announcements.
- Currently, we have 20 people going to the convention.
- An email will be coming out soon regarding the service project for this year’s convention, which will benefit Ready for Life – Pinellas.
- Region III has the privilege of helping out with the service project committee this year. A signup sheet will be sent around to those folks from our chapter who are attending the convention. Help will be needed to organize materials and box them up for transport to the agency, etc.
- Large and small door prizes are needed for convention. Our chapter is preparing a Romantic Fondue for Two themed gift basket to donate to the AFC Silent Auction. Materials are still needed for this basket. Contact Beth Groff for more information. Small door prizes are also needed. Marnie Baird and Suzette Wallace have already donated a number of small items, but each person attending convention is asked to bring at least one small door prize. Attendees can either bring their door prize with them to the convention, or take it to Carol S, Smith or Debbie Cook.
- Our chapter is also creating two more baskets. The themes for these baskets are On the Rocks Margarita Gift Basket (our fundraiser) and A Night at the Movies Gift basket (large door prize). Materials are still needed for these baskets as well. Volunteers will be needed to staff the fundraising table for these baskets at convention. Tickets will sell for $1.00 each or 6 tickets for $5.00. Proceeds go to our fundraising account.
Dr. MaryEtta Fisher from the League of Women Voters presented information on the organization and the importance of voting. Information about absentee voting was also provided, as well as literature about the upcoming election and the amendments on the ballot within the State of Florida. The League of Women Voters is a non-partisan, citizens’ organization founded in the 1920s to provide information and education about voting, elections and other governmental policy issues. More information can be found at www.thefloridavoter.org. On October 9, 2012 at 7:00pm at the On Top Of the World Educational Complex, the League will hold a local candidate forum, open to the public.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:25pm by Carol S. Smith. The next general meeting will be held October 25, 2012 at 12:30pm in the Board Room, Founders Hall.
Respectfully submitted by Shana Miller, September 28, 2012.