April is Action-Packed at Appleton
April 3, 2014
The Appleton Museum of Art, College of Central Florida, will offer nine weeklong summer art camps for students age 4 to 15. The first camp begins June 16. Students will learn the fundamentals of art-making and create their own original artwork during six weeks of Summer Art Camp.
Two sessions are available for 4- to 6-year-olds:
- June 23-27 and July 28-Aug. 1, 10 a.m.-noon, “Pint-Sized Picassos” with Joan Woods: Young artists will experiment with an exciting variety of art materials and forms of artistic expression.
Six camps are available for 7- to 12-year-olds:
- June 16-20, 9 a.m.-noon, “Terrific Textiles” with Tasha Strigle: Paint on silk, spin some wool, play with clay, weave all day!
- June 23-27, 1-4 p.m., “Meet the Masters” with Marla Long: Vacation with Van Gogh and friends. Learn about artists, then create fabulous artwork influenced by them. We’ll paint, build with clay, cut paper, and collage.
- July 7-11, 9 a.m. to noon, “Goin’ Fishin’” with Mariann McClary: Catch some fun this week by venturing into the sea. Paint and build imaginative creatures using a variety of materials including clay and recyclables.
- July 14-18, 9 a.m.-noon, “America the Beautiful” with Mariann McClary: Experience the art and culture of Native Americans. Make pottery, beadwork and dream catchers influenced by their unique designs. Join us for a fun and meaningful week.
- Aug. 4-8, 9 a.m.-noon, “Escape to Egypt” with Marla Long: Are you mystified by King Tut’s mask, canopic jars or cartouches? Unravel their mystery by making your own. Work with various mediums including clay.
One camp is available for 11- to 15-year-olds:
- July 28-Aug. 1, 1-4 p.m., “Me, Myself and I” with Marie Fielding: It’s all about you this week! Use paint, pen and ink, fabrics and more to design a personalized banner to hang in your room. Also, work with clay to create signature jewelry.
The weekly camp fee for children ages 4-6 is $75 for museum members and $90 for non-members. For all other age groups, the fee is $95 for members and $110 for non-members. To register, contact Museum Educator Mary Moore at 352-291-4455, ext. 1613, or email@example.com. Or, register online at AppletonMuseum.org.
Owned and operated by College of Central Florida, the Appleton Museum of Art is located at 4333 E. Silver Springs Blvd., Ocala, east of downtown on SR40 (exit 352 east off I-75 or exit 268 west off I-95). Free parking is available. For more information call the Appleton Museum of Art at 352-291-4455 or visit AppletonMuseum.org.