Fight Back Against Identity Theft
The College of Central Florida encourages students, staff and the community to explore the Federal Trade Commission website “Fighting Back Against Identity Theft,” http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/.
Deter: Minimize Your Risk
- Protect your Social Security number.
- Treat trash and mail carefully.
- Be on guard when using the Internet.
- Select intricate passwords and change them frequently.
- Verify sources before sharing information.
- Safeguard your purse and wallet.
- Store information in secure locations.
- Learn about a credit freeze and identity theft insurance.
Detect Identity Theft
Monitor accounts and bank statements monthly and check your credit report on a regular basis.
Defend: Recover From Identity Theft
Take steps to respond and recover from identity theft as soon as you suspect it.
- Place a fraud alert on credit reports and review credit reports.
- Immediately close accounts that you believe have been affected.
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
- File a police report.
Complete information is available at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/.