The Distinguished Alumni Award is presented to an alumnus/a, who exemplifies the College of Central Florida’s tradition of excellence through their personal accomplishments, professional achievements, or humanitarian service. One recipient is selected each year.
CF Distinguished Alumni 2020
Ben Marciano is passionate about the benefits of health and fitness, and works with the community to address health issues. He served as executive director of the Frank Deluca YMCA for several years, and in 2014 he opened Zone Health and Fitness, which has two locations in Ocala.
“I believe it is our mission to give and help others,” said Marciano. “That is why we push so hard, so we can do more.”
Marciano and his wife, Danielle, volunteer with several charitable organizations to make Marion County a better place. One of those organizations is Arnette House, which provides emergency shelter, counseling, and crisis intervention to young people and families. Ben and Danielle have mentored several boys, who they consider part of their family. They believe that they get more out of the relationships than the boys.
Marciano said they feel fortunate to be in the position they are today. Since the Zone opened, they have provided $100,000 in support to nonprofits and individuals in the community including the American Heart Association Heart Walk, the United Way and the Centers.
And, of course, Marciano has supported his alma mater. He has been a signature sponsor of the CF Athletics program for many years, and he partners with CF for recruiting events and to hire students.
“We are thrilled to acknowledge Ben for his achievements not only within his industry but also as a CF alumni leader in our community,” said Mike Fallon, chair of the CF Alumni committee. “We are pleased to recognize him as our 2020 Distinguished Alum.”
Previous CF Distinguished Alumni
- May 1996: The Honorable Craig Curry
- Aug. 1997: Richard Knight
- May 2001: Morrey Deen
- Aug. 2001: The Honorable Mary Sue Rich
- Dec. 2001: Lewis Dinkins
- May 2002: Jim Williams
- Aug. 2002: Mary Steddom
- Dec. 2002: Jim Huber
- May 2003: Roy Abshier
- Dec. 2003: Kay Johnson Boyer
- Aug. 2004: Bobby James
- 2005: Lori Hornby
- Aug. 2005: Michael Mangan
- May 2006: The Honorable Gerald Ergle
- Dec. 2006: Judge Hale R. Stancil
- Fall 2007: Van McKenzie
- Spring 2008: Dean Blinkhorn
- Fall 2008: Sandra Himmel
- Spring 2009: Clinton Hart
- Spring 2010: Dr. Stacey Dickson
- Spring 2011: The Honorable Charles Dean
- Spring 2012: Gloria James
- Spring 2013: George Tomyn
- May 2014: Sindy Schneider
- May 2015: Sheriff Chris Blair
- May 2016: Capt. Shane Ferguson
- Dec. 2016: Mike Joyner
- May 2017: Judge Carlos E. Mendoza
- May 2018: Luther Drummond
- May 2019: John and Shirley Rudnianyn
- May 2020: Benjamin Marciano