Students who have enrolled at CF on or after 2018-2019 are required to demonstrate competency in civic literacy. See information about the Florida Civic Literacy Exam below.
The Florida Civic Literacy Exam covers four areas of competency:
- American Democracy: An understanding of the basic principles of American democracy and how they are applied in our republican form of government.
- United States Constitution: An understanding of the United States Constitution and its application.
- Founding Documents: Knowledge of the founding documents and how they have shaped the nature and functions of our institutions of self-government.
- Landmark Supreme Court Cases, Legislation, and Executive Actions: An understanding of landmark Supreme Court cases, landmark legislation and landmark executive actions and their impact on law and society.
CF students can demonstrate competency either by completing a civic literacy course or by receiving a passing score on the Florida Civic Literacy Examination (FCLE).
How to tell if you need to take the exam
|Students entering in:||Civic literacy requirement applies to:||In the following programs:||These students must:|
|2018-19 — 2020-21||First time in college students||Associate in Arts or Baccalaureate||Pass a course OR pass an assessment|
|2021-22||Students entering college under 2021-22 catalog year||Associate in Arts or Baccalaureate||Pass a course AND pass an assessment|
|2022-23||Students entering college under 2022-23 catalog year||Associate in Science or Associate in Applied Science||Pass a course AND pass an assessment|
How to schedule the FCLE
To take the FCLE, you will need to make an appointment. To do this please visit our testing site.
- Pick the location you want to test (Ocala, Citrus or Levy)
- Click on “Make an appointment”
- Enter your email address and click submit
- Enter your demographics, agree to terms and click submit
- Click on “Make an appointment” again
- Pick the FCLE exam from the drop-down menu
- Pick a date and time
- Click submit
Can I take the exam more than once?
Students who do not pass the first time they take the FCLE are able to retake it. There is no waiting period, but students are encouraged to study the material prior to retesting. Sample test and guides are available at the Florida Department of Education website.
Is there an exam deadline?
The FCLE must be taken prior to graduation for students who did not pass the FCLE requirement in high school. If you passed the FCLE examination while in high school, you are exempt from the postsecondary civic literacy assessment requirement. Please make sure the admission office has received your official high school transcript noting successful completion of the FCLE.
Ways to satisfy the civic literacy assessment
|Approved Assessments||Passing Score|
|AP Government and Politics: United States||3|
|AP United States History||4|
|CLEP: American Government||50|
|Florida Civic Literacy Examination (FCLE)||60%|